Do I Need a Permit?
You do not need a permit for the following ordinance maintenance:
Ordinary building maintenance includes interior and exterior painting, wall papering, paneling, replacement of windows or doors provided no alteration to the framing of the original opening, replacement of trim or moldings, replacement of kitchen cabinets, replacement of flooring or carpet, repair of an uncovered porch or stoop, replacement of screens, and replacement of leaders or gutters.
Ordinary plumbing maintenance includes faucet repair or replacement, trap repair or replacement, replacement of shower valves, replacement of hose bibs, the repair of leaks involving the replacement of piping between existing joints, clearance of stoppages, and the replacement of clothes washers and dryers.
Ordinary electrical maintenance includes replacement of non GFI-receptacles, switches, and lighting fixtures rated at 20 amps or less. Repairs to doorbells, replacement of thermostats, repairs or installations of telephone or cable lines, replacement of dishwasher and kitchen range hoods in single family homes.
Ordinary fire protection maintenance includes repair or replacement of smoke or heat detectors, installation of battery operated or plug in smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors, and the replacement of stoves and ovens provided that no change in fuel type or location or electrical characteristics is required.
You do need a permit if you are contemplating doing any of the following work. Please call or visit the Building Department at Borough Hall:
- Installation of a pool in-ground, above ground and inflatable.
- Installation of spas or hot tubs
- Build or replace a deck
- Put on an addition
- Interior renovations or alterations
- 1. Kitchen or bathroom remodel
- 2. Finishing a basement or attic
- 3. Install or replacement of sheetrock and insulation
- Build or replace a retaining wall over 4’ in height
- Install or replace a shed, membrane structure, or detached garage
- Install or replace a woodstove
- Installation or replacement of hot water heaters, furnaces and boilers.
- Installation of gazebos and cabanas
- Replacement of roof and siding
- Removal of any tree
- Removal/abandonment of oil tanks
- Installation or replacement of central air conditioning
- Upgrade of electrical service
- Enlarge windows or doors
The following is regulated by Ordinance and requires certain reviews prior to approval:
If you are unsure if your project requires a permit just call us at (973) 962-7880.
- Soil movement
- Dog runs and kennels
- Animal shelters – including hutches, chicken coops, barns and corrals.