Ringwood was incorporated as a Borough in February 23, 1918 under an act of the New Jersey Legislature. A municipality in New Jersey derives it authority from the State Legislature under Title 40 of the Revised Statutes, which mandates that municipalities enforce certain state regulations in matters of finance, law enforcement, education, health and welfare. However, the state laws encourage “home rule” by permitting local government to enact ordinances suitable for its own needs if they do not conflict with state or federal laws.
Borough Hall is located at 60 Margaret King Avenue. This facility houses most local government administrative offices including the Police Department and Municipal Court. The Department of Public Works Garage is located at 128 Margaret King Avenue.