Municipal Building, 60 Margaret King Ave., Ringwood, NJ 07456 | (973) 962-7037

Home  |  Contact Us  |  Sitemap

Do I Need A Permit to Install Low Voltage Lighting?


Yes. All landscape lighting, low voltage wiring and lighting in excess of 10 volts, which is not telecommunication wiring, requires a New Jersey licensed electrical contractor and UCC permit.

The exception to this would be a listed/labeled "do-it-yourself" kit that is provided with a factory supplied plug in transformer.

The information above is from the Construction Code Communicator, Volume 31, Number 2, Summer 2019 (, a newsletter produced periodically by the DCA.  It contains articles on topics of current interest to local code officials, architects, engineers, builders, electricians, plumbers, and others undertaking projects regulated by the State's Uniform Construction Code.